3 weeks ago, we spent an amazing two days in Petra and Wadi Rum. Friday morning, we headed to the old ruins of Petra. After a 4.5 hour bus drive, we finally made it to our destination. I wasn't really sure what to expect. The only picture I had ever seen from Petra was the picture of the treasury, so I almost envisioned ourselves heading directly to the treasury....and then back. To my wonderful surprise, Petra is this MASSIVE place. It's the sight of an ancient city built on top of mountains, with winding curves, dazzling colors, and miles and miles of sand and ruins and walking. I was delighted!! We spent about 3 hours there, but our guide told us that it really takes about 2 weeks to see everything Petra has to offer. Anyways, we rode horses, walked for a million miles, climbed mountains, took pictures...it was incredible!!! I think the best way to describe everything is just to show you in pictures...
The Treasury
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Entrance to Wadi Rum and Fun Shinanigans
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Exploration
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Sights
***
After our enchanting trip in Petra, we headed to Wadi Rum. We rushed to make it in time to watch the sunset. We rode camels out into the desert and the middle of the Rum and then climbed a medium-ish sized mountain and watched the sun go down. Words cannot express how beautiful and breathtaking the scenery and that experience was. The calm and quiet that over took the surrounding area was almost surreal, but it was magical. When you realize you are in the middle of the desert, camels are waiting for you at the base of this mountain, you are in Jordan, sitting on a mountain you climbed up without knowing how to get down, and just watching the sun go down with no distractions and no other thought than "wow, this is incredible," you realize just how wonderful life is, and you start to count and appreciate all of the blessings you are given. The sun and the sky had never looked so beautiful. I decided to go off in my own little corner to watch the sunset. At first I was a little lonely, and half of me wished that I could have been sitting there with someone special. But then, I just forgot, and the grandeur of the moment and over took every emotion in me, and I no longer felt like I was alone. I just was. I was exisiting and living in the moment, and nothing else mattered.
On the way back to the camp, I fell off a camel. Yup, the camel bucked me off. No, I didn't fall on my own free will. Yes, I was holding on tightly. No, I didn't hurt the camel. Yes, I flew in the air for a few seconds before I landed hard on the sand. I was fine lol, just a few minor bruises and aches and a little bit of fear of camels since then haha.
That night, after dinner, we waited until about midnight when the camp lights went off and we wondered back into the desert to watch the stars. The sky was so clear and so bright that we saw countless of shooting stars. It was an amazing evening and dinner.
The next morning, we ate a delicious breakfast and then took a drive through the desert on the back of pick ups. We also got to climb this large mountain of sand, and then rolled down it. Sadly, my camera died after this little incident.
The trip was over all amazing, and honestly, it has been my favorite ISA trip in Jordan. Unforgettable and momerable!







No comments:
Post a Comment