Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Foreign Women and Tips for Surviving Abroad in the Middle East


ON A MORE SERIOUS NOTE...
_________________________________
Women Travelers in the Middle East 
http://www.jordanjubilee.com/travelme/women.htm

I found this pretty helpful when preparing my portfolio for  my International Studies class about my potential study abroad options. This link gives a quick and somewhat thorough break down of the Do's and Faux Pas of the Middle East. DO NOT be fooled by the ridiculous shows and movies that make the Middle East seem like...well like something it isn't (i.e., Sex and the City 2 and a rather dumb episode of The Real Housewives of ?? that I regret stumbling upon). Granted, this is mostly for Jordan, but it's good stuff to keep in mind when traveling all over. It covers:
-Correct Dress
-Blending In 
-Visiting the Wadi Rum

Here is a more extensive link about what to wear from women who have traveled various countries in the Middle East and can help you prepare what to pack for countries like Israel, Egypt, & Jordan.


  

________________________________________________________

Tips for Traveling-Jordanian Men

 

I found this to be confirmed by most of my friends/classmates who traveled to Jordan and it's always good to know what to expect in terms of the opposite sex. Here are the highlights and the links:



Jordanian men will test you...
I was rather stunned at how many men hit on me while traveling through Jordan. From Amman, Jerash and even in Petra, many of the men I met
 (guides, business associates, bus drivers, room service waiters, waiters) from age 22 to 62 made some sort of pass at me. Foreign women are quite exotic to them and unfortunately some foreign women take them up on these clumsy passes and so they persist. It can be really annoying but I finally got the point. I would just laugh at them and make a joke. I tried not to take it personally. I truly think most of the men are harmless and it's sort of a numbers game to them.
However I had a guide in Petra who owned his own business and came to my hotel one night and told me he wanted to take me out to see Petra in the moonlight (it was a full moon). I knew him through business and thought it was a nice gesture. He drove me way out into the desert and when we got out of the car to look back at the city, he tried to kiss me. It scared me to death. I was out in the middle of nowhere with this kid. I told him he was scaring me, it was not professional, and to take me right back to the hotel. He did and later apologized. So I recommend that female travelers have a game plan on how to say no politely to all invitations. The best approach is to tell them you have a husband or a boyfriend. And, please just don't go into the desert on a moonlit night even if you know the man.
(Submitted by an anonymous businesswoman)

Double standard...

Which brings me to an important point, there is somewhat of a double-standard for western women and their dress. While most Jordanian women would not wear short sleeves or tight, revealing clothing in the street, they almost expect western women to wear these things. However, that does not make it appropriate. Clothing like this invites stares and cat calls and some inappropriate remarks. So, as a western women I would advise Journeywomen to plan on dressing more conservatively than they might at home. But remember to be creative. Jordanian women love fashion so your clothes don't have to be boring.
____________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment