-You don't have to have a car to travel places here in Buenos Aires. Public transportation is great.
-It's really convenient having a supermarket right next door.
-Getting your laundry done across the street is only 7$. That's 2 loads and zero work. Worth it? I think so
-I really liked living in the big city of Buenos Aires better than the smaller city in Chile.
-I love meeting random people on the street, in the subway, the buses, church, the supermarket, local coffee shops, etc. People here are so open and most are always willing to be your friend.
-According to a friend, if you trip on the street, 5 people will immediately run up to you and ask if you are okay and there's anything they can do to help.
-There's lot of work to be done here, lots of need and lots of people to help.
-Honestly, I've kind of grown to like when guys say things to me as I walk by them. (Of course not all of them or everything they say) I understand why girls here are so confident. Even if you walked out of the house with no make up on, you're bound to get at least one compliment on how you look.
-I'm reallllyyyyyy going to miss the bakeries here.
-As much as I try to like the Argentine porteƱo accent, it still kind of bothers me haha.
-I've learned SO SO much about what it's like to live in Latin America.
-I love how you can buy sunglasses on the street for less than 4$.
-Restaurants are pretty overpriced.
-Argentina lacks a variety of salad dressings. Forget the ranch, italian, and cesar when you come here. Olive oil with lemon and salt is your only option. That's hard to get used to...
-The peanut butter here is really sticky. I wouldn't like it either if I was them.
-If you don't have matches, just use a lighter.
-Alfajores de maicena are the best!!!
-The Argentine asado is a delight!! Steak, sausage (choripan) and melted cheese. YUM!
-There is a ridiculous amount of fun things to do here.
-I LOVE hearing music on the streets. It always makes my day!
-I don't particularly like how people very often interrupt each other when they're talking. It was ingrained in my brain since I was very young not to interrupt and it's hard to wrap my mind around the fact that here, it's not that rude. Though of course there are times when it's socially acceptable and when it's not.
-I like how life here is much more relaxed and slow. It makes you appreciate each moment more. I've even grown to be the one who shows up a little late. But I think it's just because I know no one else will get there on time and I don't want to be sitting around waiting for them
-Doing the dishes by hand every night is not THAT bad...though I still feel like they're never 100% clean.
-I love walking through new parts of the city and exploring.
But, I still have a few pending questions.
-What kind of job do I want to have? I have to start thinking about how I'm going to support myself and I don't feel intellectually ready for a "big girl" job yet!
-Does the Lord call us to live in places that we don't necessarily like? or should we have a heart for the people of a certain place, then move there?
-What type of ministry does the Lord want me in? I want to find a place where I can serve but also learn. I want to be stretched but also be able to use the talents God has already given me.
I am still waiting on God's direction in my life. But a passage that I read in James 4:14 in other days says this: "How do you know what your life will be like tomorrow? Your life is like the morning fog—it’s here a little while, then it’s gone." It reminds me to live for Christ each day, knowing that I'm not guaranteed tomorrow.
posted Nov. 17, 2011. http://amandaniermann.blogspot.com/2011/11/conclusions-thus-far.html
No comments:
Post a Comment